Tuesday, December 16, 2008

What Cold?

I was in Houston and missed the snow in Baton Rouge.

We got excited when the flakes began falling in NW Houston. It had been a few years since I had seen some snow, and it was the Li'l Crumbsnatcher's first time. I'm not sure she really knew what was happening, but she seemed to have a good time anyway.

Not much accumulated, but that was okay. We were happy with what we had. We were, that is, until the next morning, when the big set began beaming news reports of three inches of snow on the ground 20 minutes east of us.

As I watched the weather system slide eastward, I turned to the interweb for the scoop on the Cap City. Wouldn't you know it, two weeks after we move from Baton Rouge, they see some great snowfall. C'est la vie.

Now we're spending some time in Cleveland while the Mrs. undergoes some training for her new job. A winter storm warning is in effect begining at 4 p.m. EST for the area, so we may get some of that white stuff that caused such a ruckus last week. I'm looking forward to it, though it may keep me here at the hotel all day, rather than taking in the city.

L.C. and I went for a walk around the block earlier, and while it was cold, it didn't seem too bad. Imagine my surprise when I turned on the noon news to find that it was 23 degrees! My hands weren't even cold in my gloves! I've been on the sidewalk of a 3 a.m. crime scene in the upper 20's that felt colder than this. It must be the humidity in Louisiana, because the cold just seeps right through whatever clothing you happen to be wearing and settles right on your skin. It never mattered what kind of gloves I wore, because they would never keep my hands warm. Today I wore the same pair of gloves and they stayed warm the whole hour I was outside.

You can give me this kind of cold any time of the year.

No comments: